1 Long term objective
Promoting sustainable and effective water management of these systems: improving the efficiency, effectiveness and environmental sustainability of water management in this basin through advance modelling tools which can support multi-stakeholder dialogue, coordination and negotiations Building Technical and Institutional Capacity: promoting capacity-building in water governance by favouring experience-sharing and transfer of expertise, methodology and tools to Viet Nam.
2 Short term objectives
- To assess current conditions of the management of multipurpose multi-reservoir system in the Red-Thai Binh river basin.
- To design optimal operating rules for the multipurpose multi-reservoir system (including Hoa Binh, Thac Ba, Tuyen Quang and under construction reservoirs such as Son La, Lai Chau, Huoi Quang, Ban Chat, etc) for water supply for domestic, industry, agriculture, navigation, power generation, flood control, and environment of the Red river delta in adapting to climate changes.
- To contribute to harmonize conflicts generated by water allocation and distribution.
3 Expected Results
- A web portal, based on Wiki technology, to disseminate project results and to enhance public participation. The web portal might be used in future to support the future stakeholder engagement.
- Design of a set of regulation policies for the large-scale multi-purpose, multi-reservoir systems of Red-Thai Binh, balancing water supply (domestic, industry, hydropower, irrigation, environment, aquaculture, navigation), flood control and environment protection. Different regulation policies will be designed accounting for different climate scenarios (i.e. present and future climate scenarios).
- Set up modelling tools at IWARP for planning the management of large-scale multi-purpose, multi-reservoir system of Red-Thai Binh. These tools will compose a TWO moduLEs (TWOLE) decision support environment: a Planning module (Red_Twole/P,) and a Management module (Red_Twole/M).
- Capacity building will be promoted by training a few staff members of Vietnamese institutes on the system optimization methodology that will be apply within the IMRR Project. The training will take place at DEI
- Project Management
- Stakeholder engagement and support to public participation
- Reconnaissance of the system
- Conceptualization (identification of actions and evaluation criteria).
- Models identification
- Scenario building (climatic, demographic etc..) for project and policy evaluation
- Design of regulation policies for multi-purpose multi-reservoir systems and prediction of their effects (algorithms here developed compose the core of Red_Twole/P).
- Evaluation and negotiation of those regulation policies, in order to identify the ones which determine the best trade-off for different climate scenarios; mitigation of their possible negative effects
- Setting up of Red_TwoLe/P and Red_Twole/M
- Testing of Red_Twole/P and Red_Twole/M.
- To establish 2 PhD and 3 Master scholarships in the Politecnico di Milano for brilliant Vietnamese students.
- Participation of Master and PhD students and IWARP staff in the development of modelling tools that will be included in Red_Twole.
- Organization of the final Workshop where Red_Twole will be presented and its application to other regions within the country promoted.
5 Work Packages
|WP n.||WP Title|
|WP7||Designing alternatives and estimating the effects|
|WP8||Evaluation, Negotiations and Mitigation|
|WP9||Setting up and Testing|
The Institute of Water Resources Planning, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, a subordinate agency under the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) specializes in water resources planning. IWARP’s function is to formulate water resource planning across the whole of Viet Nam for allocation, protection and sustainable development of the water resources and environment protection to facilitate socio-economic development.
Since its establishment in 1961, the Institute has formulated majority of important water resources plans of Viet Nam. Together with its function of preparing water resources plans, the Institute is also a leader in researches and application of advanced technologies in water resource planning, consultancy and management.
Recently, the Institute has successfully applied for the first time the strategic planning methodology to integrated water resources use and protection planning for river basins. The Institute is also a pioneer researcher in development and receiving world water resources technology transfer, for examples mathematical models such as VRSAP, GAMS, SOBEK, IQQM, TwoLe, MIKE 11, MIKE 21, MIKE 21c, MIKE 21 FM, MIKE SHE, ECOLab, MIKE BASIN OPTIMIZATION, MIKE URBAN and RIAM.
The Institute has set up cooperation with different institutes in Europe including Politechnico di Milano (Italy) and Danish Hydraulic Institute (Denmark). A study tour had been held to exchange experiences on multi-reservoir management with the Politechnico di Milano. The latter also had a training course on TwoLe (the decision support system for multipurpose optimization analyses) for IWARP’s staff in Hanoi.
The Planning and Management of Environmental Systems group is a research group of the Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informazione e Bioingegneria at the Politecnico di Milano.
The goal of the reasearch group is to develop mathematical models for the quantitative analysis and management of environmental systems, thus promoting a more efficient and sustainable use of natural resources and contributing to the adoption of transparent and shared decision-making procedures.
Topics of the research activity include
- Air and water quality
- Integrated water resources management
Stakeholders involved in the project:
- Bac Hung Hai irrigation management company limited: Dang Duy Hien, Trinh The Truong
- Bac Nam Ha Limited company for irrigation and drainage system: Luu Ngoc Trinh, Nguyen Cong Thanh, Nguyen Duc Lu
- Bac Thai Binh irrigation management company limited: Nguyen Son Ha, Nguyen Minh Du
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Development in Bac Giang province: Nguyen Hong Ky
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Development in Bac Ninh province: Nguyen The Nang
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Development in Ha Nam province: Nguyen Quoc Dat
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Development in Hai Duong province: Nguyen Huu Duong
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Development in Hai Phong province: Vu The Bao
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Development in Nam Dinh province: Mr. Son
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Development in Phu Tho province: Bui Duc Tan
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Development in Tuyen Quang province: Le Tien Thang
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Development in Vinh Phuc province: Nguyen Gia Thanh, Nguyen Thien Vy, Nguyen Van Do
- Ha Nam People's Committee: Mr. Chien
- Hoa Binh hydropower company: Nguyen Dinh Thuy
- Hoa Binh People's Committee: Hoang Van Tu
- Institute of Mechanics and Enrvironment Engineering: Nguyen Lan Chau
- Ministry of Construction (MoC): Truong Minh Ngoc
- Ministry of Industry and Trade (MoIT): Nguyen Ngoc Binh
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MoNRE): Bui Huy Tung, Duong Thi Thuy, Hoang Minh Tuyen, Le Viet Hoa, Nguyen Khanh Toan, Pham Thi Thanh Thao, Tong Thi Lien, Tran Thi Thanh Tam, Trinh Thi Thu Van, Vu Kim Thang
- Ministry of Planning and Investment (MPI): Nguyen Huy Hoang
- Ministy of Argiculture and Rural Development (MARD): Hoang Van Thang, Le Hoang Anh, Le Thi Phuong Quynh, Nguyen Thanh Kien, Pham Thi Hanh, Vu Kien Trung, Vu Xuan Thanh
- Nam Thai Binh irrigation management company limited: Do Manh Hung, Vu Ngoc Thang
- National Center for Water Resources Planning and Investigation (NAWAPI): Nguyen Manh Trinh
- Son La People's Committee: Mr. Thanh
- Sub-Department of Irrigation and draiange in Ninh Binh province: Dinh Thi Quynh Nga, Nguyen Huu Thuong, Pham Hong Phong
- Sub-Department of Irrigation and draiange in Thai Binh province: Do Nhu Hong
- Tuyen Quang hydropower compary: Nguyen Thi Dieu Huong
- Tuyen Quang People's Committee: The Anh
- VietNam Electricity (EVN) - Ministry of Industry and Trade (MoIT): Hoang Long, Hoang Van Loi, Le Huu Hoang, Nguyen Thu Ha, Tuan Tung
- Vietnam Inland Waterways Administration: Nguyen Van Bang
- Vietnam Institute of Meteorology, Hydrology and Climage Change (IMHEN): Hoang Minh Tuyen, Le Tuan Nghia
- Vinh Phuc People's Committee: Dao Van Quyet
- Water Resources University: Ha Van Khoi, Le Van Uoc
- Yen Bai People's Committee: Chung Anh
The following experts are involved in the alternative policies comparison:
- Flood control
- Nguyễn Thế Lương, Central Committee for Flood and Storm Control (CCFSC)
- Vũ Xuân Thành, Central Committee for Flood and Storm Control (CCFSC)
- Prof. Hà Văn Khối, Water Resources University
- Hoàng Thanh Tùng, Water Resources University
- Dr. Hoàng Minh Tuyển, Institute of Meteorology, Hydrology and Environment (IMHEM)
- Trịnh Thu Phương, National Centre Hydrological and Metheological Forecast, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MoNRE)
- Hydro Power
- Mr Cường and Mr. Tân, National Load Dispatch Centre EVN (EVNNLDC/A0)
- Mai Thanh Tâm, Department for Energy Regulation, Ministry of Industry and Trade (MoIT)
- Lê Hữu Hoàng, Electricity of Vietnam, Ministry of Industry and Trade (MoIT)
- Nguyễn Thị Diệu Hương, Tuyen Quang Hydro-power Generation Company
- Hoàng Văn LợiHoa Binh Hydro-Power Generation Company
- Mr. Vu Quang, Thac Ba Hydro power Joint Stock Company
- Prof. Hà Văn Khối, sector consultant
- Water supply
- Representative of the Directorate of Water Resources, Department of Irrigation Works Management (IWM)
- Nguyễn Văn Vương, Crop Production Department, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD)
- Đặng Tiến Diện, Dept. of Water Management and Rural Water Supply (WRD), Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD)
- Dang Duy Hien, Head of Bac Hung Hai irrigation district
- Mr. Ngô Thanh Sơn, Company Ltd for Investment, Developemnt of Nhue River
- Lưu Ngọc Trình, Bắc Nam Hà Company Ltd for irrigation and draining system
- Chuyên Viên Chuyên Ngành, Department of Irrigation and Drainage Management, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD)
- Nguyễn Văn Hoà, Vụ Nuôi trồng thuỷ sản, Bộ NN-PTNT
- Dr. Lê Hùng Nam, Directorate of Water Resources, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD)
- Lê Thị Việt Hoa, Department of Water Resources Management, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MoNRE)
- Msc. Nguyễn Ngọc Hà, Centre for Water Planning and Investigation, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MoNRE)
- Dr. Hoàng Minh Tuyển, Institute of Meteorology, Hydrology and Environment (IMHEM)
- Prof. Bùi Xuân Cậy, University of Communications and Transport
- Ms. Hải Lý, National University of Civil Engineering
- Nguyễn Việt Thắng, Vietnam Inland Waterways Department, Ministry of Transport (MoT)
- Ms. Vo Thi Thanh Xuan, Department for Technical Infrastructure, Ministry of Construction (MoC)
- Nguyen Van Bang, Vietnam Inland Waterways Administration (VIWA)